BANGALORE: The city-based cookie manufacturer Unibic Biscuits India, is looking forward to shift focus to the niche segments, as part of its plan to strengthen its presence in the country.
Unibic Australia holds a majority stake of 65 per cent in the company and the remaining 35 per cent were owned by Mr Nikhil Sen, MD, Unibic and private equity investors. Earlier, an earlier bid made by Marico was terminated on the back of valuation issues, who is intending to acquire an estimated 51 per cent stake in Unibic.
The company is eyeing entry into segments such as breakfast offerings on the ‘health' platform. It plns to focus on northern and eastern markets as it already holds a stong presence in the southern and western region of the country.
Mr Nikhil Sen, said, “We'll never be a rural brand, and plan to be a national brand in 12-18 months and be present in 21 markets across the country.”
In 2010, the company has launched its sugar-free range of cookies and is considering to launch a range of sugar-free cream biscuits for diabetics.